EAC Approval of adapters
These products are constantly being imported all over the globe. But let’s focus an eye on import of the adapters to Customs Union area (Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan).
What shall a charger manufacturer do in order to make sure the adapters comply with the rules of TR CU (Technical Regulations of Customs Union)?
Please be informed that the adapters fall under mandatory TR CU 004 “On the safety of low voltage devices - LVD”, TR CU 020 “Electromagnetic compatibility of technical means - EMC” and TR CU 037 ”On restrictions of hazardous substances - RoHS”.
Conformity to the first two regulations – LVD and EMC is proved with an EAC Certificate of Conformity.
EAC Certificate of Conformity can be issued either for
- serial production (with 1, 3 or 5 year’s validity) or
- for a single delivery (meaning that once the delivery is over the certificate is no longer valid).
Normally, the process of CoC's for TR CU 004 and 020 (they are united in 1 certificate, by the way) acquisition consists of the following steps:
- The certification body prepares an application with all technical data on the product: Full name, Type, model, HS code as well as data on the manufacturer (name, address, contact) and the applicant (note that only a CU-based company may act as the applicant for EAC approval).
- After the application is checked and confirmed by the manufacturer, it is then signed by the applicant and then registered y the CB.
Keep in mind that for a serial CoC, site audit for the check of Quality Management System and sample selection is foreseen.
- A CB expert visits the production site, conducts the audit of the production area and selects the samples that are to be sent for testing in a CU-based lab. Audit for QMS check is not required for a batch certificate, though.
- After the audit the selected samples should be send for testing in a CU-based laboratory. Preliminary lead time for tests is 2 weeks. Once the tests are completed, the test report is prepared. In case a positive test report received, the CoC can finally be registered.
All serial certificated are subjected to annual inspection control meaning that each year within the validity of the CoC new samples should sent for tests and the inspection report shall be prepared. Sometimes it also required an additional audit to make sure the quality of the production remains the same as it was by the moment of CoC's initial registration.
It's rather comforting that you do not have to go for the same procedure for RoHS approval. This regulation is only covered be Declaration of Conformity.
Unlike certificates, requiring audit and sample testing, declaration can be issued based on manufacturer's RoHS test reports (for example, acquired via European laboratory).
If such a report is not available, then the manufacturer should send the samples to a CU –based laboratory. Please note that RoHS tests can take up to a month.
Once the reports are completed, the declaration of Conformity TR CU 037 can also be registered.
And last, but not the least – both Declaration and Certificate require submitting of an operating manual translated into Russian language.
With this, as well as with the CoCs and DoCs issuance specialists of WorldWideBridge LLC will always be happy to assist. Please email us at [email protected].
Read more articles:
EAC certification. Electromagnetic compatibility of technical equipment The sequence of issuing documents for radio frequency devices: FSS notification, RFC, TR CU declaration / certificate, telecom
By Maria Lazba